The “LoadLibrary failed” error only occurs on AMD machines and can happen for a number of reasons. Common contributing factors to errors are outdated or damaged AMD graphics drivers, problems with damaged graphics driver modules, and problems with the application itself.
Here are some steps to help you fix “LoadLibrary failed with error 87: The parameter is invalid” problem on Windows.
1. Do a quick reboot
Press and hold the power button on your computer to force shutdown the system. Then, press the power button again to restart the PC. If you see a black screen, leave the device in standby for a minute or two before performing the next steps.
2. Update the graphics card driver
Please check and update your graphics driver on Windows. If you have a dedicated GPU, use the GPU management tool from the manufacturer to download the update.
3. Perform a driver downgrade
If the error occurs after a recent driver or operating system update, check if your graphics device has received a newer update. If so, you can perform a driver restore to reinstall the older driver.
4. Uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver
To uninstall the display adapter driver:
1. Press Win + R to open Run.
2. Enter devmgmt.msc and click OK to open Device Manager.
3. In Device Manager, expand the Display Adapter section.
4. Right click on your graphics card and select Uninstall device.
5. Select the Attempt to remove the driver for this device option and click Uninstall.
6. Once done, restart the PC.
You can now reinstall the driver from the GPU manufacturer’s website. If the problem persists, check if the GPU driver has been completely removed.
5. Rename the file atig6pxx.dll
1. Press the Win key and enter atig6pxx.dll in the search bar.
2. Right click on the DLL file and select Open File Location. Alternatively, go to the following location and locate the file:
3. Rename the file to atig6pxx.dll.bak. You will need admin rights to change the file name in the System32 folder. Click Continue to confirm action.
If permission issues persist, take ownership of the folder on Windows and then rename the file.
1. Boot into Safe Mode.
2. While in Safe Mode, press the Win key and enter cmd.
3. Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
4. In the Command Prompt window, type the following command to change the System32 directory:
5. Next, type the following command and press Enter to own the atig6pxx.dll file:
takeown /f atig6pxx.dll
6. Next, type these two commands in turn to grant full permissions and change the properties of the DLL file:
icacls atig6pxx.dll /grant everyone:full
attrib -r -s atig6pxx.dll
7. If all commands are executed successfully, you can rename the file atig6pxx.dll without any permission error.
6. Repair Windows Image with DISM
Corrupt system files are another possible cause of LoadLibrary fail. Fortunately, Windows comes with a built-in tool to repair system images.
7. Reinstall the app
- Press Win + I to open Settings.
- Open the Apps tab in the left pane.
- Click Installed apps.
- Search for the app and click the three-dot menu next to the app name.
- Click Uninstall twice to confirm action.
This error is usually caused by an incompatible or outdated graphics driver. You can update or reinstall the driver to fix the problem. Renaming the specified DLL file is another popular solution. But any problem with the system image will require repairing the Windows image using the DISM command line utility.