How to compress Bloated Registry Hives on Windows Server: Registry Hive is the name given to the main part of the Windows Registry that contains registry keys, subkeys, and values. Registry hives are included in the Windows Registry Editor. You can use Registry Editor to create and modify registry keys, subkeys, and values. It offers Windows users many advantages like they can enhance PC security, improve PC performance, change access to read-only mode, etc.
What are Bloated Registry Hives?
Sometimes the size of registry hives becomes unusually large. These unusually large registry hives are called bloated registry hives. Registry Hives in a bloated state can cause many performance problems and errors in the system’s logs. There are different causes of Bloated Registry Hives problems.
The actual troubleshooting is a process that takes a long time. In such conditions, compressed Bloated Registry Hives might be a better solution. Compress Bloated Registry Hives back to their normal state so they can function properly.
How to compress Bloated Registry Hives on Windows Server
Follow the procedure listed below to compress Bloated Registry Hives on your PC.
- Boot your computer from the WinPE disk.
- Now, open Run type regedit to open Registry Editor. Download the cumbersome registry assembly below:
- The Load Hive option is available in the File menu.
- When you load the hive registry, you must give it a name. You can give any name to the hive e.g. Bloated. This name is shown in the address, HKLM\Bloated.
- Once the bloated hive is completely loaded, you must export it as a Registry Hive file with a unique name, like:
- Here, windir indicates the Windows folder, like the Windows folder in drive C. You can use the DIR command to verify the old and new registry nest sizes.
- Now, remove bloated registry hive from Registry Editor by selecting the Bloated key that you created while loading hive.
The Unload Hive option is available in the File menu. Some Windows users may encounter errors such as Access Denied while unloading bloated hive. To resolve the error, close the registry editor then relaunch and try again.
In the last step you have to boot with compressed hive. Before doing this, let’s rename the registry hives. For example:
c:\windows\system32\config\ren software software.old
c:\windows\system32\config\ren compressedhive software
Above is how to compress Bloated Registry Hives on Windows Server you can refer to. Hope it helps you, good luck.